Contact Name: Jessie Duran
Contact Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Institution/Organization Name: University of Illinois at Chicago, University Library
Job Location: Chicago, IL
Job Title: Visiting Assistant Professor and Information Services and Liaison Librarian
Application Deadline : 11/07/16
Job Description (if URL to posting not available): Visiting Assistant Professor and Information Services and Liaison Librarian
Library of the Health Sciences – Chicago
The University of Illinois at Chicago (UIC) Library of the Health Sciences seeks a faculty librarian for its Information Services & Research Department. The Library of the Health Sciences is one of the largest health sciences libraries in the United States and supports UIC programs in medicine, dentistry, nursing, pharmacy, associated health professions, public health, and doctoral programs in basic and clinical science. UIC is one of the top five most ethnically and culturally diverse universities in the nation.
The Visiting Librarian is primarily responsible for all aspects of information and educational services. UIC librarians have faculty status and are expected to be active in professional organizations and participate in research. The schedule for this position is typically weekdays, but may include weekends and evenings.
Reports directly to the Head of Information Services & Research, Library of the Health Sciences.
Specific responsibilities include:
• Serving as liaison to selected health science colleges and working with faculty to integrate library instruction into the curriculum
• Collaborating with UIC campus partners and faculty in research activities
• Offering instructional services, including teaching classes and designing face-to-face and online instructional materials
• Providing general reference services that may include: conducting research consultations, answering online reference questions, and staffing the reference desk
• Working with others to develop and revise programs in response to changing technology and information needs
• Developing content for the library’s website
• Promoting and evaluating services and resources
• Participating in University Library committees and task forces
• Master’s degree in Library Science from an ALA accredited program
• Proficiency with PubMed and other electronic health information resources
• Reference service and instructional experience
• Strong user-focused public service orientation
• Excellent written communication and interpersonal skills
• Ability to work effectively with diverse users
• Proficient with basic computer applications and bibliographic management software
• Affinity for working collaboratively in a team environment
• Evidence of good judgment and organizational skills
Salary is dependent upon qualifications and experience. The minimum salary for a full-time twelve-month appointment is $51,333. Benefits for a twelve month appointment include 24 days of vacation, 12 annual sick leave with additional disability benefits, 11 paid holidays; paid medical insurance (contribution based on annual salary, coverage for dependents may be purchased); two dental plans available; life insurance paid for by the State; participation in one of the retirement options of the State Universities Retirement System compulsory; no Social Security coverage but Medicare payment required. This appointment is covered by a collective bargaining agreement between the Board of Trustees of the University of Illinois and UIC United Faculty Local 6456, IFT-AFT, AAUP.
For fullest consideration, apply by October 21st, 2016 with cover letter, supporting resume, and name and address of at least three references. The position close date is November 7th, 2016.
All applicants must submit an online application through jobs.uic.edu. To apply, click on the following link: https://jobs.uic.edu/job-board/job-details?jobID=71513&job=visiting-assistant-professor-and-information-services-and-liaison-librarian
The University of Illinois conducts background checks on all job candidates upon acceptance of a contingent offer of employment. Background checks will be performed in compliance with the Fair Credit Reporting Act.
The University of Illinois at Chicago is an affirmative action, equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, protected veteran status or status as an individual with a disability.