Contact Name: Genevieve Koloditch
Contact Email : firstname.lastname@example.org
Institution/Organization Name: Sidley Austin LLP
Job Location: Chicago, IL
Job Title: Reference Librarian – Temporary
Application Deadline : 11/25/16
Years of Experience Required:
Link to Job Posting: https://careers-sidley.icims.com/jobs/3566/reference-librarian—temporary/login
As the primary contact for all reference and research projects, the Reference Librarian provides quality, in-depth legal and non-legal research using online and print resources. This position will support assigned practice area teams by providing topic specific research, assist in maintenance of team’s practice collaboration page, work with other firm departments assigned to the team, provide current awareness information and other related duties.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Provide extensive legal, business, medical, and general reference and research assistance to library users when needed in a team-styled reference environment.
• Conduct research using all resources available – online, print and external sources.
• Staff the Library Reference Desk on specified shifts. Answer telephone calls and assist walk-in clients. Input request details into research-tracking database (Quest).
• Assist in the preparation of instructional and marketing materials, including research guides and competitive intelligence dossiers.
• Participate in collection development including evaluation of new databases, websites and print material.
• Work on any special projects or any other duties as assigned by the Firmwide Director of Library & Research Service.
Education and/or Experience
Qualification Requirements: To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform the Duties and Responsibilities (Duties) above satisfactorily and meet the requirements below. The requirements listed below are representative of the minimum knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations will be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job. If you need such an accommodation, please email email@example.com (current employees should contact Human Resources).
• MLS from an ALA accredited university
• Minimum 1 year experience in a law library, concentrating on research and reference services
• JD from an ABA accredited law school
• Experience as a practicing attorney
• Strong technical skills, including familiarity with SharePoint, MS Office, social media, graphics editors, and other related technology tools
Other Skills and Abilities:
In addition to the above, the following may also be required of the successful candidate:
• Able to quickly learn new technologies and then teach others
• Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
• Strong communication skills (both verbal and written) and able to relate to people at all levels
• Well developed analytical and problem solving skills
• Works effectively with others as part of a team and as a self-motivated individual
• Ability to prioritize and work well under short deadlines
• Exercises confidentiality and discretion
Sidley Austin LLP is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer