Contact Name: Kayleen Jones
Contact Email : email@example.com
Institution/Organization Name: Kathryn A. Martin Library at the University of Minnesota Duluth
Job Location: Duluth
Job Title: Social Sciences Librarian
Application Deadline : November 29, 2016
Years of Experience Required:
Link to Job Posting: http://humanresources.umn.edu/jobs
The person in this position provides library liaison services to assigned departments and programs in the social sciences. This person also provides library instruction for the college writing program, selects information resources for general and reference areas, and provides support to campus diversity programs. Additionally, this person oversees the federal depository library program at UMD. For assigned departments and programs, this librarian provides specialized reference services, selects information resources, creates informational tools (web sites, course guides), serves as a liaison to faculty, and provides library instruction for classes. The person in this position participates in Research & Learning Team meetings, activities, and projects, serves on teams and groups working on library-wide initiatives, and contributes to the library profession and/or campus.
Assigned departments/programs (subject to change): American Indian Studies; Communication; Geography, Urban, Environment & Sustainability Studies; Master of Tribal Administration and Governance; Political Science; Sociology & Anthropology; Women, Gender and Sexuality Studies. Assigned diversity programs: Office of Cultural Diversity: Multicultural Center, African American Student Programs, Asian/Pacific American Student Programs, Latino/Chicano Student Programs, Gay Lesbian Bisexual Transgender Services, International Student Services, and Women’s Resource and Action Center; Office of Disability Resources
This is 100%, 12 month, annually renewable appointment as an Assistant Librarian rank. Minimum salary is $42,344.28; salary based on qualifications. Anticipated start date is February 2017. Degree must be granted by start date.
● ALA-accredited Master’s degree in Library/Information Science or equivalent combination of advanced degree and relevant experience
● Excellent organizational and written communication skills
● Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively with faculty, students, and colleagues in a research environment
● Experience in group library instruction
● Experience providing research assistance in an academic or public library
● Experience working with diverse populations
● Knowledge of current and emerging trends in providing government information
● Experience providing liaison services in an academic environment
● Demonstrated knowledge of current research tools
● Experience working with reference-related technologies
● Degree or significant library-related experience in the social sciences
Physical and Environmental Conditions:
● Accommodations may be made for some of these physical demands for individuals who require and request such accommodation:
● Mobility to work in a typical office environment and use standard office and computer equipment
● Stamina to remain seated and maintain concentration for extended periods of time
● Vision to read printed materials and computer screens
● Hearing and speech to communicate effectively in oral and written forms, in-person, and over the telephone
● Agility to manipulate library materials
● Strength and ability to lift materials weighing 5 – 10 pounds on a regular basis
Essential Job Functions:
Liaison Assignments (60%)
For assigned social science departments and programs:
• Provide in-depth research assistance in assigned subject areas
• Develop and use expertise in knowledge and use of information resources
• Keep current on academic trends and changes
• Monitor assigned databases and keep library users informed of changes
• Promote electronic and other information resources
• Provide library instruction for courses in subject areas and for Advanced Writing classes
• Create and update course and research guides
• Develop good working relationships with faculty to support teaching and research
• Assess user needs to develop and maintain relevant, high quality services and information resources
• Oversee collection management of books, periodicals, multimedia, and electronic resources
• Manage acquisitions budgets
Additional Assignments (10%)
• Oversee federal depository library program
• Provide research assistance for government information
• Provide liaison to diversity programs
General Responsibilities as a Member of the Research & Learning Team 20%
• Provide general research assistance to library users during scheduled hours, including evening and weekend shifts
• Provide general information literacy instruction to classes in College Writing, College in the Schools, and other general programs
• Assist students and researchers in evaluating resources and refining topics for research
• Continuously develop expertise in database and web searching
• Serve as member of the Research & Learning Team and participate in meetings
• Participate in support of Team events and initiatives
• Work cooperatively with library staff
• Keep current on professional issues related to reference services
• Share information on resources and research skills with colleagues
• Document data on research transactions and instruction sessions
• Participate in UMD Library information literacy initiatives
Library-Related Professional Service and Engagement (10%)
• Participate in library, UMD, and community meetings and events
• Serve on campus or university committees
• Engage in professional development
• Contribute to the profession through organizational work, presenting papers, or publishing
Other Duties as Assigned
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. The employer reserves the right to change or assign other duties to this position
About the Department
The University of Minnesota Duluth, Kathryn A. Martin Library’s mission is to promote learning and research by providing information resources and services, up-to-date technologies, and knowledgeable staff in a welcoming environment.
How To Apply
Applications must be submitted online. To be considered for this position, please click the Apply button and follow the instructions. You will have the opportunity to complete an online application for the position and attach a cover letter and resume. Additional documents may be attached after application by accessing your “My Activities” page and uploading documents there.
Complete applications must include:
1. Letter of Application addressing the qualifications
2. Current Curriculum Vitae
3. Contact information for three professional references
4. Unofficial graduate transcript
Any offer of employment contingent upon successful completion of a background check and degree verification.
Applications will be accepted until filled. Review of complete applications will begin November 29, 2016.
Smoking, chewing tobacco and the use of electronic cigarettes prohibited on all UMD property, including indoor facilities, campus grounds and University vehicles.
To request an accommodation during the application process, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (612) 624-UOHR (8647).
If you have started receiving retirement annuity payments from the Minnesota State Retirement System (MSRS) or Public Employees Retirement Association (PERA) your eligibility for this position may be impacted. Please contact UM Benefits at 1-800-756-2363 for any eligibility limitations.
The University recognizes and values the importance of diversity and inclusion in enriching the employment experience of its employees and in supporting the academic mission. The University is committed to attracting and retaining employees with varying identities and backgrounds.
The University of Minnesota provides equal access to and opportunity in its programs, facilities, and employment without regard to race, color, creed, religion, national origin, gender, age, marital status, disability, public assistance status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or gender expression. To learn more about diversity at the U: http://diversity.umn.edu.
Background Check Information
Any offer of employment is contingent upon the successful completion of a background check. Our presumption is that prospective employees are eligible to work here. Criminal convictions do not automatically disqualify finalists from employment.