The South Central Library System (SCLS) seeks a Limited Term Employee (LTE) Digitization Assistant to assist SCLS and Member Library staff with their digitization projects. This is an exciting opportunity to provide 54 libraries in a 7-county area (including Madison, WI) with the support they need to digitize materials in all formats and make them electronically accessible to patrons. This position is funded by the Library Services and Technology Act.
Schedule Hours are as follows:
• 29 hours per week between the hours of 8 am to 5 pm M-F through March 31, 2017
• 20 hours per week between the hours of 8 am to 5 pm M-F April 1, 2017 through March 31, 2018.
We are looking for someone who is excited by the prospect of helping libraries with the digitization process from selection to the creation of metadata. Most items will be added to Recollection Wisconsin (http://recollectionwisconsin.org/) which is a service hub for the Digital Public Library of America (http://recollectionwisconsin.org/dpla). The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who can work with little supervision.
The Digitization Assistant will:
• Provide training, documentation and support for digitization best practices
o On-site support for first days of scanning
• Provide training, documentation and support for creating metadata
• Identify and document best methods for digitizing various material types
• Upload scanned files and metadata to Recollection Wisconsin and document process
• Provide consulting to libraries considering digitization projects
o Priorities for what to digitize
o Creating a plan
o Filling out the Recollection Wisconsin form
o Tips for managing, publicizing, and using a digital collection
• Serve on SCLS Digital Content Work Group
• Assist with scanning projects if time permits
Required Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree supplemented by training or experience in library or other digitization projects. Work toward a MLS from an ALA accredited program preferred. Flexible schedule within regular M-F business hours. Reliability, ability to reason and think logically, ability to work independently, ability to interpret and apply library policies, and attention to detail are essential to this position.
Starting Salary: $20 per hour
Application Deadline: 1/13/17
How To Apply:
The SCLS job application and position description are available at http://www.scls.info/hr/. Please complete the SCLS job application and attach your resume, three references, and cover letter outlining your qualifications and vision for this position. E-mail submissions to Kerrie Goeden, HR & Finance Coordinator, at firstname.lastname@example.org no later than January 13, 2017. Position is available immediately.