Undergraduate Teaching and Outreach Librarian, Yale University Library
The Yale University Library is seeking an Undergraduate Teaching and Outreach Librarian. This is a brand new, full-time, permanent position for an early-career librarian, created to help support the first major expansion of Yale College (the undergraduate core of the university) in 50 years. Our enrollment will increase by 800 students (15%), with the first wave arriving this August.
Position Focus: The Undergraduate Teaching and Outreach Librarian will design and oversee selected general research education programs, including freshman writing seminars and research support workshops, in a variety of academic disciplines, as well as library programming for other groups such as the Yale Young Global Scholars and Freshman Scholars. The librarian will work with faculty and Directors of Undergraduate Studies to design library research education programs for undergraduates, and will coordinate outreach and research education programming for Yale’s residential colleges, cultural houses and other groups (e.g. first-generation college students, athletes, and international students). The incumbent will be an active participant in the Library’s signature Personal Librarian program, and will work collaboratively with other YUL units to design education and outreach programming for undergraduates.
Required Education, Skills and Experience:
· Master’s degree from an ALA-accredited program. Qualified individuals new to the library profession are welcome to apply.
· Demonstrated excellence and innovation in the teaching of undergraduates.
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively and professionally across multiple units and academic departments with all levels of students, faculty and staff. Successful history of meeting high-level service expectations.
· Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing, and work well with colleagues and library patrons, individually and in groups. Demonstrated ability to plan, prioritize, coordinate, and implement projects.
· Demonstrated ability to troubleshoot and solve complex problems and to make decisions. Proven ability to prioritize, meet deadlines, and to work under pressure. Ability to work in a fast-paced team environment, within a diverse, complex, and rapidly changing organization.
Preferred Education, Skills and Experience: 1 year of professional experience in an academic library, with teaching at the undergraduate level. Experience with library and research support for diverse student populations, including first-generation college students. Familiarity with web design tools and principles, including responsive design and accessibility best practices. Experience with assessment, educational technology and instructional design.