The University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences (UAMS) Library invites applicants for the position of Metadata Librarian. This 75% FTE faculty position reports to the Head of Collection Management. The successful applicant would perform shared and original cataloging, conduct acquisition of print and e-book resources, and aid in the creation of guides for electronic and print resources.
Founded in 1879, UAMS is the only academic health sciences center in Arkansas. The UAMS Library supports the education, clinical, research, and outreach activities of six colleges (Graduate School, Health Professions, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, and Public Health), a comprehensive medical center, and several institutes of excellence. The UAMS Library serves the health information needs of the citizens in Pulaski County and provides support to the rest of the state through the network of Regional Center Libraries. The Library also serves as the only resource library in the state for the National Network of Libraries of Medicine. http://www.library.uams.edu
Faculty, staff, and students work and study in a stimulating and culturally diverse environment. Information on the beautiful, vibrant city of Little Rock can be found at http://www.littlerock.com/.
SUMMARY OF RESPONSIBILITIES
Metadata Management and Cataloging (70%)
* Works with collections faculty to strategically assess metadata quality; plans and coordinates metadata enhancement and remediation to address better discovery for library users.
* Performs shared and original cataloging of library and archival resources.
* Serves as a metadata consultant, assisting in development and implementation of best practices, tools, procedures and workflows for acquisition and resource discovery.
* Provides training to library staff regarding resource description, metadata remediation and metadata management.
* Conducts regular audits of bibliographic records and catalog maintenance.
Additional Professional Duties (30%)
* Assists the Electronic Resources Librarian in the creation and curation of guides for both electronic and print resources.
* Serves as the assistant administrator between the UAMS campus and the online bookstore vendor.
* Assists users and staff, in collaboration with the Electronic Resources Librarian, in resolving access problems with electronic resources.
* Compiles cataloging statistics for library’s annual statistical report.
QUALIFICATIONS – REQUIRED
* Master’s degree in Library Science or equivalent from an ALA-accredited program
* Knowledge of cataloging practices, MARC records, and integrated library systems (ILS)
* Ability to work well independently, as part of a team, and as the leader of a team
* Ability to communicate (verbally and in writing) with library faculty and staff
* Problem solving, analytical and organizational skills
QUALIFICATIONS – PREFERRED
* Knowledge of electronic resources management systems (ERM)
* Subject knowledge in the sciences related to health science
* Completion of two or more graduate level classes in cataloging, metadata or indexing
* Experience or familiarity with cataloging of archival materials.
* Familiarity with the following cataloging tools: Resource Description and Access (RDA), the Anglo-American Cataloging Rules (AACR2r), Medical Subject Headings (MeSH(r)) and Library of Congress Classification (LCC) formats for bibliographic and authority data
Salary is set at $33,750. The Metadata Librarian is a .75FTE employment (30-hour week), non-tenure track faculty position with opportunities for promotion. This position would be an entry level faculty position at the rank of instructor. UAMS offers a comprehensive benefits package and retirement plan options including TIAA/CREF and Fidelity.
Priority will be given to applications received by April 20, 2017. Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.
Electronic submission is required. Interested parties can email a letter of application detailing relevant experience and accomplishments, curriculum vita, and three professional references with full contact information to Dianne Weed (email@example.com.) Questions regarding the position or application process can be submitted to Dianne separately from the application materials.
UAMS is an inclusive Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Employer of individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.