Full Time Youth Services Librarian
The Barrington Area Library is looking for a collaborative, customer service-oriented librarian to join our Youth Services team. This librarian will:
• find creative ways to engage library customers from birth to eighth grade and their caregivers,
• design innovative programs and experiences that support hands-on learning, and
• play an active role in coordinating our evolving, museum-quality play spaces and activities.
• You’re passionate about inspiring young readers and learners.
• You’re curious and have a strong desire to learn new things.
• You have a solid understanding of child development and are comfortable relating to kids of all ages and their caregivers.
• You’re friendly and love helping people.
• You feel energized by collaborating with others on new projects.
• You’re an active listener with a bottomless well of patience.
• You’re excited about new technology and are as likely to tinker with a Makey Makey as you are to pick up a book.
• You understand customer needs and enjoy connecting them with the right solutions.
• You know which Hogwarts House you would be sorted into.
• You’ve checked out our visit us page, so you know we’re serious about play and learning.
Sound like a fit? Then read the full job description here and consider bringing your talents/skills to the Barrington Area Library’s Youth Services team! Complete the PDF application and email it, along with a cover letter and your resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org.
About the library:
Our renovated, 21st century library is a busy, friendly place that supports lifelong, active learning, and an appreciation for creativity and innovation. Customers of all ages and interests visit our library, expecting to find excellent and informed service, programs and workshops that enrich and inspire, and spaces designed for private work and group collaboration.
Requirements and Skills:
This position requires an ALA-accredited MLS. The successful candidate will have: direct experience working with children; familiarity with developing early literacy programs for children and families; a demonstrated history of strong communication skills, as well as interpersonal, organizational, digital literacy, and customer service skills.
Hours, Salary, and Benefits:
This full-time librarian position is scheduled for an average of 37.5 hours per week (includes days, evenings and weekend hours). Flexibility in scheduling is a must for all team members. Salary Range from $47,476 – $71,214. This position is classified as Exempt and includes participation in the Illinois Municipal Retirement Pension Plan (IMRF), and offers vacation, sick, personal and holiday benefits. Medical, dental, and life insurance plans are available, with some plans at no cost to the employee.
Barrington Area Library
505 N. Northwest Highway
Barrington, IL 60010