Contact Name: Mary Weber
Contact Email : email@example.com
Institution/Organization Name: UW-Madison Memorial Library
Job Location: Madison
Job Title: Memorial Public Services Student Assistant
Application Deadline : 05/14/2017
Years of Experience Required: 0
Link to Job Posting: https://jobcenter.wisc.edu/jobs/detail/45580
– Welcome and orient patrons as they enter the building
– Issue guest passes to non-UW-Madison affiliated users
– Check library materials out to patrons
– Process items returned to the library, including routing books to other departments and libraries
– Retrieve items from hold shelves and various collections throughout the library
– Sort items and place them on hold shelves
– Provide users with basic instruction on using the library and its resources, including scanners, microform readers, printers, computers, and copiers
– Perform basic troubleshooting of library equipment, including scanners, microform readers, printers, computers, and copiers
– Assist with building emergency and safety procedures
– Other tasks as assigned
Memorial Library is a campus learning space, and as such, Student Assistants should expect that we will learn from each other. In this position, we will work with you to develop the following abilities:
– Customer service skills, including the ability to listen closely to library patrons and respond to their needs.
– Technology & computer literacy, including the ability to use current library technology and computer software.
– Communication skills, including the ability to professionally communicate with colleagues and patrons in person, in writing, and online.
– Teamwork, including the ability to positively work and engage in a team structure.
– Problem solving & analyzing, including the ability to make decisions and solve problems using creativity and reasoning.
– Flexibility & adaptability, including the ability to manage and adapt to changing work conditions and assignments.
– Administrative skills, including the ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work.
– Cultural sensitivity & awareness, including ability to demonstrate respect and awareness to other people and cultures.
– Library navigation, including the ability to read library call numbers and effectively search the library collections.
– Security awareness, including the ability to evaluate and respond to basic emergency and security situations