McMillan Memorial Library seeks an Adult Services Manager for award-winning public library serving 40,000 people in scenic central Wisconsin. Wisconsin Rapids: High quality of life, low housing costs, beautiful parks, excellent educational institutions. McMillan Library: $1,767,000 annual budget; 19 FTE including 6 FTE with M.L.S.; 45,000-square-foot building with 265-seat auditorium. 5,000-square-foot Library Commons area with coffee shop. Digital Media Studio / makerspace. Endowment and high level of ongoing private funding. Excellent programs for all ages supported by strong programming budget. One of the nation’s best library concert series for adults. Member of South Central Library System sharing open source Koha automation system based in Madison. See library website at http://www.mcmillanlibrary.org. Responsibilities: Oversees adult programming. Community engagement. Material selection and weeding. Promotional materials including print, website and social media. Member of Management Team. Full position description. Qualifications: A.L.A.-accredited M.L.S. and professional experience in public libraries required. Compensation: 2017 salary scale $54,335 to $63,803. Excellent benefits including 4 weeks vacation after one year. Application Deadline: Friday, June 2, 2017. Send letter of application with resume including three references to Business Office, McMillan Memorial Library, 490 E. Grand Ave., Wisconsin Rapids, WI 54494 or email to Administrative Services Manager Vicki Steiner at firstname.lastname@example.org. Equal-opportunity employer.
Position Description – Adult Services Manager
Under the direction of the Library Director and supervision of the Assistant Director, the Adult Services Manager is responsible for programming, community engagement and materials selection for adults. This position is a member of the Management Team, leader of a staff team and will serve as Supervisor in Charge as scheduled.
● Oversees adult programming, coordinating with other managers for intergenerational programming.
● Seeks and promotes engagement with community agencies and organizations.
● Selects and weeds a major portion of the adult collection.
● Regularly serves as Supervisor in Charge.
● Serves as the Library’s representative on various South Central Library System and LINK committees and workgroups.
● Assists in communication and marketing efforts, including website, print and social media.
● Communicates effectively with staff and the public. Maintains effective public relations.
● Contributes to the Management Team, suggesting areas of improvement and innovation.
● Regularly provides direct service to patrons at the Adult Desk.
● Oversees a team to support adult programming.
● Understands Library policies and procedures and can apply them to library operations.
● Other duties as assigned.
● MLS from an ALA accredited school.
● Previous professional library experience required.
● Excellent problem solving and communications skills.
● Excellent customer service skills
● Supervisory and computer expertise preferred.
Physical Demands of the Position
● Bending/twisting and reaching.
● Far vision at 20 feet or further; near vision at 20 inches of less.
● Keyboarding, writing, sorting, and processing.
● Handling: picking up and filing.
● Lifting and carrying: 25 pounds or less.
● Pushing and pulling: objects weighing 100 pounds on wheels.
● Sitting, standing, walking, climbing, stooping, kneeling and crouching.
● Talking and hearing; use of the telephone.
● Ability to apply technical knowledge.
● Ability to comprehend and follow instruction: effectively follow instructions from supervisor.
● Ability to deal with abstract and concrete variables.
● Ability to interpret technical regulations and instructions.
● Communication Skills: effectively communicate ideas and information both in written and verbal form.
● Mathematical Ability: calculate basic arithmetic problems.
● Planning and Organization Skills: develop required plans to solve problems; take advantage of opportunities to accomplish goals; establish systematic methods of accomplishing goals.
● Reading Ability: effectively read and understand information contained in memoranda, reports and bulletins, etc.
● Time Management: set priorities in order to meet assignment deadlines.
Flexible work hours; some evening and weekend hours.
Inside work environment.