Social Sciences Data Librarian
http://jobs.hr.tufts.edu/ Job Number: 17001274
Tisch Library at Tufts University is seeking an innovative, knowledgeable, and collaborative Social Sciences Data Librarian. The Research & Instruction department consists of three disciplinary teams (Sciences & Engineering, Social Sciences, and Arts & Humanities) and the Digital Design Studio, and is responsible for working with students, faculty, and staff to incorporate information literacy into the curriculum; designing and delivering course-based and open workshops; providing research consultation services; and developing new services and programs to support teaching, learning, research, and scholarship at Tufts.
Reporting to the Social Sciences Team Lead, the Social Sciences Data Librarian leads the development and provision of library services in the discovery and use of locally and externally available datasets by researchers across departments and programs in the social sciences. Working with a broad range of researchers, this position will build relationships with faculty and students, increase the visibility of available data resources and services, and meet curricular needs in the use of data-related library resources and services by providing individual research support consultations, group instruction sessions, and other programming as required. Collaborating with the Research Data Librarian, this position will also support data management activities on campus.
The Social Sciences Data Librarian works closely with staff in the Data Lab, a campus space for methodological and technological services and support for data reference, analysis, and visualization; this work includes supervising graduate student data consultants and supporting open workshops on a range of data-related topics.
As a participant in the library liaison program, this position will provide liaison services for two or more departments in the social sciences, including outreach and collections work, as well as provide instruction for the First-Year Writing program and serve scheduled shifts at the Research Hub.
Tufts University is student-centered research university that cultivates an environment of curiosity, creativity, and engagement. The Tisch Library is on the Medford/Somerville campus, just outside Cambridge, MA, and with proximity to all that the Boston Metro area has to offer.
• Master’s degree in Library/Information Science from an ALA-accredited program, or equivalent
• Experience with library research tools relevant to the social sciences.
• Familiarity with data discovery, analytical techniques, and statistical methodologies applicable to the social sciences.
• Experience building relationships in an academic setting, and/or working with/supporting students and faculty in academic departments via outreach, research assistance, or teaching.
• Excellent interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
• Strong commitment to outstanding public service.
• Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment as well as take initiative on independent projects.
• Ability to work effectively with a culturally diverse community.
• Advanced degree in the social sciences or a related discipline.
• Demonstrated knowledge of quantitative software packages utilized in the social sciences, such as Stata, SPSS, SAS, or R.
• Experience teaching in an academic setting.
• Knowledge surrounding the application of Geographical Information Systems and related software.
• Experience with project management, including planning, communication, and assessment.
• Collection development experience.
Review of applications will begin May 31, 2017. Screening of applications will continue until the position is filled or the search is closed.