In 2013 the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum launched an initiative to improve the visitor experience by committing to improve access, management and preservation of our collection through collection digitization and collection care. The Textile Collections Cataloguer will work on a cross-departmental team to inventory, house, and catalogue the historic fifteenth- to early twentieth- century textiles.
- With oversight from Senior Textile Conservator: identify, inventory, photograph, assess condition, and re-house textiles in storage in compliance with collection management best practices. This includes working with the physical collection, labeling and organizing boxed and rolled textiles to improve current textile storage conditions.
- Catalogue collection objects in Embark, the Collection Management database, including data entry ,provenance and bibliographic research using primary archival, registration, conservation, and curatorial records and secondary sources
- Enter researched data into Embark in accordance with data entry standards and submit records for review, as well as, edit records as requested by supervisor
- Clean up metadata in the Textiles Storage Database, a legacy Filemaker Pro database, in preparation for data migration to Embark; reconcile data between the two systems
- Provide administrative support to the digitization team to enable the museum to achieve the project’s goals
- Maintain and update analog curatorial object files
Click continue reading to read more and discover other recent jobs in Massachusetts!
- Bachelor’s degree required. Master’s Degree or progress towards a postgraduate degree in art history, museum studies, or a related field preferred
- Basic knowledge of textile structures preferred
- Familiarity with art handling and collection management best practices preferred
- Ability to follow detailed, established workflows
- Strong research and analytical skills
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Prior experience of a similar project within a museum would be helpful
- Good interpersonal and communication skills; patience
- Ability to work independently, meet deadlines and a willingness to learn
- Sound judgment and respect of confidentiality of sensitive collection and museum data is a must
- Strong computer skills required. Familiarity with Microsoft Office, basic Photoshop, scanning, and databases. Basic knowledge of collections management systems preferred, but training will be provided
Join our dedicated, talented team of employees, interns and volunteers, who are passionate about the work they do to support the Museum’s mission. To apply for this position, please use our online application. This is our preferred application method.
We often review applications on a rolling basis once a position has been posted. If you are particularly interested in an open position, we recommend submitting your application sooner than the stated deadline, if possible, to ensure consideration for the position
The Gardner Museum is committed to affording equal opportunities to qualified individuals regardless of race, color, religion, national origin, sex, age, disabilities, marital status or sexual orientation. Candidates of color are strongly encouraged to apply.
We receive many resumes and kindly request that you do not call to inquire about the status of your application. Those candidates chosen for interviews will be contacted.
Link to job posting: https://recruiting.paylocity.com/Recruiting/Jobs/Details/8068
Other recent job openings in Massachusetts: