The Ed Rachal Foundation, a private non-profit foundation, is funding a digitization project in Corpus Christi, Texas. A Digital Archivist is needed to develop and implement a comprehensive digital archives program. This is a new and exciting position that has an opportunity to be part of a large digitization effort in South Texas. The Digital Archivist will have the ability to build and shape this initiative from the beginning.
The initial project for which the Digital Archivist is needed is to implement policies and procedures to enhance the accessibility and discoverability of over 200,000 photographs. The digitization center established for this initial project will be state of the art and will have the ability to serve the needs of the South Texas region. The successful candidate for this position will help shape the future of this digitization center to accept new projects.
Click continue reading to learn more, apply, and discover more job opportunities in Texas!
Duties and Responsibilities
- Digitally capture photographic materials.
- Apply standard post capture image adjustments such as rotation and cropping, neutralizing color, and inverting and enhancing negatives, and digital restoration.
- Ensure adherence to best practices for digital project development and implementation.
- Work collaboratively with project consultant during initial project setup.
- Assist in the hiring of project technicians.
- Assist in the selection and implementation of an appropriate digital asset management (DAM) system.
Review of applications will begin July 15, 2017 and will continue until position is filled. Compensation includes competitive salary and benefits.
To be considered for this position, please send a cover letter, resume, and the names and contact information for three references to DigitalArchivistSearch@outlook.com or:
Digital Archivist Search
C/O Minks Consulting
P.O. Box 170243
Austin, TX 78717
About Corpus Christi
Corpus Christi is a coastal city in South Texas and is the county seat of Neuces County. It is home to the Naval Air Station Corpus Christi and the Port of Corpus Christi, the 5th largest port in the nation. The 8th largest city in Texas, the city is home to many popular destinations including the Texas State Aquarium and the USS Lexington Museum on the Bay. Corpus Christi’s thriving museum district includes the Corpus Christi Museum of Science and History, the Museum of Asian Cultures, and the South Texas Institute for the Arts. The city is also near Padre Island and Mustang Island as well as King Ranch, one of the largest ranches in the world.
- One of the following: M.S., M.A., or M.L.S.
- At least 2 years of experience digitally reformatting negatives and photographs.
- Experience or training in the handling of rare and fragile photographs and paper-based materials.
- Demonstrated experience working with digital asset management (DAM) systems (e.g. CONTENTdm, DSpace, etc) including setting up new collections.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Knowledge of metadata principles and standards for implementation.
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies and software platforms.
- Demonstrated knowledge of key issues related to information access and management.
- Ability to work independently, collaboratively and train staff.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Exceptional problem solving skills.
- Experience with system administration and web servers.
- Experience working with nitrate film.
- Experience setting up a digital asset management (DAM) system.
- Intermediate to advanced knowledge of Web-related markup languages, features, and protocols including HTML, CSS, PHP, etc.
- Able to trouble shoot hardware and software applications.
More job offers in Texas: