Nationwide Children’s Hospital (NCH) Library in Columbus, Ohio seeks candidates for the position of .5 FTE Reference/EBM Librarian (20 hours per week). Nationwide Children’s Hospital is one of the largest and most progressive pediatric hospitals in the country. The hospital is the pediatric teaching arm of the Ohio State University. The NCH Library is affiliated with The OSU Health Sciences Library. This is a part-time position reporting to the Manager of the Library. Hours are flexible and may consist of a combination of mornings and afternoons. A minimum of two years of health sciences library experience is required. Familiarity with evidence-based medicine concepts is highly desirable, as this position interacts daily with residents and nurses engaged in EBM/EBP activities.
NCH offers a competitive benefits package, which includes an onsite childcare center, an employee assistance program, tuition reimbursement and health/dental insurance.
The job description is below.
Applications accepted online at this URL:
Resumes can also be emailed to Spencer Riley, Nationwide Children’s Hospital, Human Resources Recruiter; Spencer.Riley@NationwideChildrens.org
The Reference Librarian performs several major roles in the Library. The major functions of this job are reference, research, serials management and coordination of evidenced based medicine initiatives. The position provides specialized and general reference and patron assistance. The Reference Librarian also performs library orientations, online searching of the medical and general literature, systematic reviews and assists the Library Manager with collection development activities. The Reference Librarian fills in for the Library Manager when he or she is away.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
1. Provides reference services including online searching of a variety of databases.
2. Assists the Library Manager with collection development activities in the Family Health Information Center.
3. Conducts orientation sessions to the library and instructional classes in the use of online databases, catalogs and other resources.
4. Searches complex national databases to verify bibliographic information and provides references on specific topics.
5. Assists patrons in locating needed information in books, journals, and indexes
6. Instructs faculty, fellows, residents, students, and staff in the use and interpretation of reference materials and equipment.
7. Participates in evidence based medicine educational and patient-care-related activities for all NCH health care professionals
8. Assists in developing & maintaining a Policy and Procedure manual for the Library.
9. Assists in development and interpretation of policies and procedures for patrons to ensure consistency with Children’s Hospital and OSU Library Systems.
10. Participates in the development and implementation of the long range and annual plans for the Library.
11. Recommends and plans new programs and services to meet the needs of patrons. Provides input into the planning of new library programs and services.
12. Oversees all library operations and patron services in the absence of Library Manager
13. Maintains and interprets data and reports and compiles statistics as requested.
14. Provides patrons with journal articles as requested
15. Assists Library Manager with tracking of NCH faculty publications
16. Assists with editing of the Library’s Intranet webpage
17. Assists in organization of the hospital archives
18. Maintains knowledge of current advances in the medical library field through review of the literature and continuing education programs
19. Participates in the interviewing and training of library staff.
Reports to: Manager of Library Services
Supervises: Activities of the Library support staff and library volunteers knowledge, skills and abilities required
1. Masters in Library Science (MLS) from an ALA- accredited
2. Minimum two years of library experience, preferably in a health sciences library
3. Extensive experience with literature searching and conducting systematic review in health sciences databases required: Medline, CINAHL, SCOPUS, EMBASE, Web of Science etc.
4. Knowledge of evidenced based medicine concepts and implementation
5. Ability to type 25-30 words per minute accurately
6. Good interpersonal, communication and customer service skills
7. Excellent verbal and presentation skills
8. Familiarity with medical terminology
9. Computer literacy required; familiarity with library computer systems, Microsoft products, Internet, medical databases etc.
10. Outstanding organizational skills required to handle large, varied workload and multiple priorities.
Minimum Physical Requirements
Position requires ability to lift and shelves journals weighing up to 10 pounds on a daily basis. Shelving involves lifting, bending, climbing up on a step stool, reaching to the top shelves. Patron assistance requires talking with patrons, using books to find information. Data entry, technical services tasks and circulation activities require using a computer monitor on an average of two to three hours per day.