GSU seeks an innovative, adaptive and collaborative Science Librarian who will engage with science faculty, students and other campus partners to shape a dynamic teaching, learning and research environment. The position is open until filled, with an anticipated start date of September 1, 2017.
The Science Librarian is a member of the team of reference librarians who as liaisons to students and faculty in academic departments provide a range of reference services, course-related library instruction and collection support. The Science Librarian is the liaison to the programs of Mathematics, Chemistry, Biology, Physical Sciences, Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy.
Click continue reading to learn more, apply, and discover more job opportunities in Illinois!
A critical aspect of this position involves maintaining a strong presence in the GSUscience community, building and maintaining close relationships with faculty and students to meet their teaching, learning, research, and publication needs. Liaison duties include providing instruction/lab sessions, workshops, and targeted reference services through individual and group consultations. Also in conjunction with program faculty, the librarian will assess digital and print collections to ensure access to resources that support their research and teaching.
The work schedule consists of regularly scheduled shifts or times at the reference desk including evening and weekends. The person also provides reference service and instruction on general topics; develops and maintains digital subject guides and tutorials as assigned for the library website as well as other duties as assigned.
Librarians at GSU are Unit A tenure track members of the faculty and are expected to meet yearly retention benchmarks as outlined by existing division criteria. Library faculty are expected to meet standards for teaching/primary duties, research and service.
• ALA-accredited MLS/MLIS.
• Second Master’s degree completed or to be completed within one year of date of hire.
• Experience providing reference service including in the digital and web environment
• Experience teaching library instruction or information literacy including developing learning outcomes, activities and assessment.
• Knowledge of current research and information sources in a broad range of science and health disciplines.
• Current awareness and comfort with technology pertaining to the sciences and health science and science/health science librarianship.
• Excellent communication skills with the ability to move seamlessly from the professional environment to the teaching/learning arena; and to write, speak and teach effectively.
• Ability to work collaboratively with teaching faculty, library faculty and staff, students, staff and administrators and community users in a diverse academic environment.
• Undergraduate or graduate degree in science and/or health sciences
• Academic library experience
Link to job posting: https://employment.govst.edu/postings/2731
Similar job opportunities in Illinois: