The University of Southern California (USC) Libraries seek an Digital Imaging Specialist to join with the Digital Library Team on the ONE National Gay and Lesbian Archives “Cold War Queers” Project to digitize materials related to LGBTQ history. The Digital Imaging Specialist position is a Fixed-Term staff position for six (6) months.
The Digital Imaging Specialist will process digital imaging projects such as hands-on digitization, post-processing, quality control and digital asset management. The Imaging Specialist provides support, assistance and advice in the use of digitization equipment and software to faculty, staff and students. Has responsibility for hands-on digitization and post-processing of a range of materials and documents using various technologies and techniques. Coordinates work-flow processes and quality control for production work on assigned projects. Performs routine maintenance on various systems and equipment such as cameras, lighting systems, computers and digitization equipment. Supervises student workers, as assigned.
Click continue reading to learn more, apply, and discover more job opportunities in Los Angeles!
THE UNIVERSITY OF SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA
The University of Southern California is one of the world’s leading private research universities. An anchor institution in Los Angeles, USC has a large number of international students and offers extensive opportunities for internships and study abroad. With a strong tradition of integrating liberal and professional education, USC fosters a vibrant culture of public service and encourages students to cross academic as well as geographic boundaries in their pursuit of knowledge.
The USC Libraries actively support the discovery, creation, and preservation of knowledge. We develop collections and services that support and encourage the academic endeavors of faculty, students, and staff; build a community of critical consumers of information; and help develop engaged world citizens. Through these means, we contribute to the continued success of the University of Southern California. The USC Libraries includes the Doheny Memorial Library and fourteen specialized libraries with an operating budget of approximately $41 million. Library collections encompass over 4.2 million volumes, 5.9 million microforms, 3.1 million images, 49,300 linear feet of manuscripts and archives, with access to over 113,800 serials in print and electronic formats, over 1,650 datasets, and nearly 1.3 million e-books. For more information, visit libraries.usc.edu.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND DUTIES
Digital Imaging Specialist will:
•Performs digital imaging production work for digitization projects such as handson digitization, post-processing, quality control and digital asset management
• Supervises student workers, as assigned. Recruits, hires, trains and orients student workers. Schedules, assigns, and prioritizes workloads. Monitors and evaluates performance and provides guidance and feedback to assigned staff
• Coordinates work-flow processes for digitization projects involving original materials such as photographs and photo-negatives, rare books and ephemera, manuscripts, 16mm and 35mm moving film, various audio and video formats, or other kinds of original materials
• Performs routine maintenance on various systems and equipment such as cameras, lighting systems, computers and digitization equipment. Installs and troubleshoots software and hardware equipment
• Researches, assesses and recommends specialized equipment purchases and hardware installations and modifications, as requested
• Participates in development and documentation of internal operating policies and procedures. Assists in development and dissemination of policies and procedures for users. Provides interpretation as required
• Stays informed of new developments and technologies by reading journals and other pertinent publications, maintaining contact with vendors, and participating in professional organizations, meetings and seminars.
• Develops and implements security related procedures such as office opening and closing routines, recognition of duress signals and key controls. Coordinates security activities with University Public Safety Department. Promotes and maintains standards for security conscious awareness and behavior. Maintains knowledge of university’s crime prevention and suppression programs and services. Ensures dissemination of security related information to staff.
USC is an equal-opportunity educator and employer, proudly pluralistic and firmly committed to providing equal opportunity for outstanding persons of every race, gender, creed, and background. The university particularly encourages members of underrepresented groups, veterans and individuals with disabilities to apply. USC will make reasonable accommodations for qualified individuals with known disabilities unless doing so would result in an undue hardship. Further information is available by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org
Minimum Education: Bachelor’s degree, Combined experience/education as substitute for minimum education
Minimum Experience: 2 years, Combined education/experience as substitute for minimum experience
Minimum Field of Expertise: Working knowledge of digital imaging tools, techniques and processes. Working knowledge of computers, data entry, scanning tools and techniques. Familiar with use of Laserfiche or other scanning software.
Similar job offers in California: