Gagosian Gallery is seeking a full-time Archivist Assistant for our flagship location at 980 Madison Avenue.
We are looking for a committed and adaptable Archivist Assistant to serve as an imaging assistant and file manager, crucial to gallery operations. The ideal candidate loves photography, fine art, and organizing, and is an excellent communicator and collaborator. This individual must be detail-oriented, decisive, and discrete.
Duties include but not limited to:
– Managing access to 30-plus-year-photographic archives for sales, publications, and registrar staff.
– Maintaining the organizational structure of image file servers, transparency binders, and executive personal devices.
– Fielding requests for photographs of artworks and exhibition installations associated with Gagosian and gallery-represented artists.
– Developing a quick response time for requests, managing multiple projects at once.
– Assembling exhibition and art fair show folders from coordinator checklists, determining which works of art must be photographed or rephotographed.
– Post-processing new photographs in Photoshop.
– Creating to-scale digital art mock-ups, exhibition model chips, and poster facsimiles in Photoshop.
– Reviewing and formatting information outputted from the Gagosian database to label all incoming and outgoing artwork and exhibition imagery, and populate images in the gallery database.
-Creating temporary reference photos of artworks.
-Providing event photography for gallery openings and book signings.
– Assisting Photographer/Head Archivist by scheduling on and off-site photography, keeping correspondences, coordinating travel, securing and filling out required paperwork, and completing monthly expense reporting.
Your personal profile:
-Bachelor’s degree or equivalent, with minimum 1-year of arts/photography/gallery work is a plus.
– Proficiency with Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Acrobat, Microsoft Word, Excel/Google Sheets, and basic digital photography skills preferred.
-Excellent telephone and written communication skills
-Familiarity with managing personal devices, particularly iPhoto libraries, is a plus.
-Knowledge of Gagosian galleries, contemporary art, art history, photography, design, and culture.
-An outgoing, friendly personality. Someone who is comfortable interacting with multiple departments, VIPS, gallery directors, and working in a fast-paced environment.
Full-time/Regular/Non-Exempt/Salaried position with overtime. Must be available to work a Tuesday – Saturday schedule.
Commensurate with experience, plus overtime pay per state and city DOL regulations. Comprehensive benefits package including three weeks’ paid vacation. Additional vacation is given with longer tenure with the gallery.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com with “Archivist” in the subject line. No walk-ins or phone inquiries will be accepted for this position.
We are an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V, committed to ensuring that all current and prospective employees are afforded equal opportunities.