Jack Shainman Gallery is seeking an organized and experienced candidate to fill the role of full-time Archivist. The Archivist works closely with the sales staff and registrar to ensure all artwork is documented. The Archivist also acts as a liaison between artists and press. Candidate must be self-motivated and able to work both independently and as part of a larger team. Candidate must have strong writing and communication skills and an ability to work in a fast-paced environment while maintaining precise attention to detail. Previous experience processing image requests for artists is required.
– Facilitates all copyright reproduction permission requests including press and scholarly publications.
– Schedules photography for all gallery locations including individual and installation photography.
– Maintains image archives in both high and low resolution.
– Updates images of available inventory on gallery iPads.
– Maintains and updates gallery website.
– Creates layouts of all available works.
– Creates exhibition previews and walkthroughs.
– Maintains press archive and updates all artist press packages.
– Researches and updates artist biographies and bibliographies.
– Maintains on-site library and artist archives.
– BA Degree in Art History or comparable required.
– Master of Library and Information Science preferred.
– Strong command of Photoshop and InDesign.
– Working knowledge of Art Base or Filemaker Pr. Preferred
– At least 2 years of full-time gallery or comparable experience.
The ideal candidate will be highly-motivated, hard working with the ability to handle all tasks with efficiency and an acute attention to detail. The candidate must be able to work in a high-pressure environment.
Salary commensurate with experience.
Application Instructions / Public Contact Information
Please email your cover letter, résumé to email@example.com
Please write ARCHIVIST in the subject line of the email