Director of Digitization
Books – San Francisco, CA – Full Time
The Director of Digitization manages Internet Archive’s expansion of the digitization of millions of books, audio records, and other media to build one of the world’s largest digital libraries. Reporting to the Digital Librarian, the Director of Digitization will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for Internet Archive’s digitization processes, program expansion, software and hardware.
Responsibilities & Duties
- Define, budget and build digital scanning expansion plan and manage to it.
- Manage business relationships for remote “super scanning centers”.
- Refine and document digitization production processes and publish them.
- Create digital scanning training program for outsourcing.
- Track and communicate production throughput and productivity.
- Optimize and increase production rates and expand media types to digitize
- Recruit and manage IA staff working in international scanning locations.
- Work closely with the Engineering team to test new digitization hardware and software, including reporting issues, user testing and feedback, and suggestions to optimize quality and efficiency.
- Project manage hardware/software development and releases across all scanning operations.
- Responsible for the maintenance of the digitization equipment, including routine maintenance and calibration of cameras and upgrading software components when appropriate.
Qualifications & Skills
- Engineering mindset and approach to production processes
- Worked internationally in setting up and operating factories
- Track record of effectively leading and scaling a performance-based organization and staff.
- Unrelenting commitment to quality and efficiency.
- Passion, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed
- 5 years of senior management experience in tech industry, engineering background preferred
- Ability to travel internationally up to 50% of the time
Benefits & Perks
The Internet Archive provides a comprehensive benefits package including; PTO, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, FSA, commuter, STD, LTD, 403B/Roth accounts and Friday lunches at IA HQ. Internet Archive is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V/L/G/B/T and will consider for employment, qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the requirements of the Fair Chance Ordinance.