Link to Job Posting
Application Deadline: August 8, 2018
The Dayton Metro Library is seeking a full-time Children Services Librarian for our Youth Services area of the Main Library in downtown Dayton, Ohio. Open since August 2017, the Main Library boasts a beautiful and engaging children’s area complete with a fairy tale bridge and free play area. Technology offerings include the latest children’s gaming consoles, AWE game computers and tablets, and 23 PCs for homework or internet browsing. The enclosed programming room has its own sink, projector and screen, and sound system, not to mention plenty of storage space. Its amenities and large collection make the Main Children’s Department a popular weekend destination for families. This librarian will report to the Youth Services Manager and will be part of the Main Library’s Youth Services’ Team. The successful candidate will be experienced in developing age-appropriate programming as well as offering exceptional customer service to our patrons. We especially want to hear from you if you work well in a team setting, enjoy collaboration, and would love to spend every day working alongside a group of supportive, dedicated youth services professionals. If you have ever wanted to specialize in serving youth, now is your chance!
Essential Job Duties
• Demonstrates excellent internal and external customer service. Creates a welcoming atmosphere in the Children’s area through personal presence and area’s design.
• Provides all library users with assistance in reference, readers’ advisory, information literacy and in the use of library materials and reference resources (all formats). Serves at the Ask Me Desk and in a roaming capacity.
• Assists patrons in finding and selecting library materials and in the use of the public computers, personal electronic devices and library virtual materials.
• Designs, promotes, presents and evaluates children’s programs and activities that address community needs and incorporates library resources.
• Provides service and maintains liaisons with schools, community organizations (e.g. preschools, daycare centers, head starts, etc.) and other groups as appropriate. Provides library outreach programs and school visits that meet community needs.
• Maintains attractive appearance of the Children’s area in accordance with safety and ADA requirements. Creates displays to promote library use.
• Evaluates and suggests titles for purchase or replacement. Reevaluates and deselects materials which need to be cancelled, repaired, replaced or redistributed.
• Submits required reports and budget requests. May serve on library committees. Attends applicable department meetings. Assists with system-wide children’s programs, activities and initiatives.
• Assists with the daily operations of the service desks, including opening and closing duties.
• Master’s degree in Library and Information Science preferred or its equivalent in education and experience is required.
• Knowledge of professional library principles, methods, techniques and procedures.
• Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from children, parents, teachers, patrons, managers, coworkers and members of the community. Ability to apply active listening skills.
• Knowledge and appreciation of children’s literature, periodicals, audio-visual materials, web sites, social media and other electronic media, and materials. Knowledge of available children’s materials and readers’ interests.
• Ability to plan and implement programs and services to support early childhood learning initiatives.
• Ability to write reports, book reviews, readers’ advisory materials and business correspondence.
• Ability to determine patron information needs. Ability to construct a competent and complete search strategy using both print and non-print information resources.
• Knowledge of available and emerging technologies and their application to children’s services.
• Schedule includes day time, evening, and Saturday hours.
Compensation and Benefits: Starting hourly wage is $22.91 (with MLS/MLIS) and an exceptional benefits package.
The Dayton Metro Library is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Application Process: For first consideration, please submit a cover letter, resume and contact information for three employment references to Jennifer Kadel at email@example.com by August 8, 2018.